Red Bank is not only the geographic center of the great state of South Carolina, it is the commercial and cultural center as well! We'd like to tell you about our community, but first, to keep our lawyers happy:
DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that any and all information, innuendo, or content herein and hereof, whether express or implied, and whether in text, graphics or otherwise, is for the sole and express purpose of entertaining and enlivening but not informing, and therefore should not be relied upon by any person for any purpose whatsoever. Any semblance to the truth, or to any person or entity, whether singular or plural, and whether living or otherwise, is strictly coincidental.
During the plantation era the land which is now Red Bank was owned by Dr. Fredrick William Green, who resided in Columbia at the corner of Gervais and Sumter Streets. Dr. Green moved his large family to Red Bank every summer, because Red Bank has always been a better place to live than Columbia ever was.
Red Bank was given its name by John Green, the son of Dr. Fredrick Green. For a time the Post Office called it Irene, in honor of the postmaster's wife. Eventually the postmaster died. Irene remarried and moved away, but the Post Office kept using her name until the advent of RFD service.
By 1939 Red Bank had a population of 500, three churches, four grocery stores and two drug stores. One of the drug stores burned, after which proprietor Sid Riley moved the business to Lexington. Today Riley's Drugs is located at 304 Columbia Ave., in downtown Lexington, although the Rileys would probably rather be in Red Bank.
Red Bank is easily accessible by land, sea and air.
B. Fine Dining:
Red Bank offers a variety of culinary experiences for the discriminating palate.
Red Bank offers a variety of lodging for the wary traveler.
Red Bank has something for everyone!