Beulah Memorial Cemetery
Web Page by Lee Schaeffer
Burial ground for thirty Revolutionary War soldiers
Listing with Pictures and Text of Markers
Contact our Archives Committee for more information
A Tour Map of Beulah Memorial
Left side is boundary of old and newer sections of cemetery not the road.
Not to exact scale.
Large Map With Known Plot Names Click to enlarge in your browser
1. The Chapel
Built in 1837 from bricks made on the site, the small church now know as the Beulah Chapel once served a pioneer congregation. The adjoining graveyard is the last resting place for many pioneer settlers, among them more than 30 solders who saw service in the Revolutionary War era.
2 The Gates
The entrance to a trip back into over 200 years of the history of the area.
Visitors cannot fail to notice on the left of the gates to the graveyard a tall monument separated from its neighbors by an ornate iron fence marking the graves of James Carothers, M.D., and his wife Matilda Graham Carothers, daughter of Rev. James Graham.
Near the Carothers' graves is the grave of Samuel Taylor, a Revolutionary War soldier serving in the 2nd Reg. Pa. Volunteers.
Near the Taylor graves is the graves is the grave of William Park, a Revolutionary War soldier with Capt. Kidd's Co., Washington County Militia who came from Cookstown, Ireland.
Dr. John McDowell was a Revolutionary War soldier who served as a Captain with the 7th Continental Regiment, Carlisle. In the same lot containing the single grave of Dr. John McDowell are the graves of Margaret W. Hastings and Martha McDowell Hastings, wives of Rev. John Hastings, Minister of Beulah from 1846 to 1866. Near these graves is a small stone for Emma E. Hunter, age 2, small daughter of Rev. James W. Hunter, Minister of Beulah from 1874 to 1877.
Rev. James Graham, second minister of Beulah from 1804 to 1845, when he was thrown from his horse while returning home and died the next day. Near him are buried Elizabeth Martin Graham who became his bride in 1804 after he had accepted a call to become minister of the church, Rachel Glen Graham whom he married after the death of Elizabeth and Martha McCullough Graham, his third wife who survived him.
In the same plot are his son James and daughter-in-law, Eliza MacFarlane Graham. Also in the same plot is the grave of Miss Martha Graham, granddaughter of Rev. Graham. To her we owe the only record of burials compiled for Beulah Graveyard in 1918.
Kelly is an important name in Wilkinsburg history. James Kelly Sr. bought property and eventually owned thousands of acres. However, he had borrowed heavily against his landholdings, and when the banks called their loans he lost everything and died a poor man.
Below the Kelly graves is a tall monument inscribed with the name James B. Linhart. The Linharts were among the earliest settlers, and a log house once occupied by members of this family still stands in Wilkins Township.
James Speer was a Revolutionary War soldier who served with Capt. Orbison's Co. New York Militia. Near this grave is the plot of the Latham family. James C. Latham, M.D.
The fourth generation of the Harrison family remain members of Beulah, and children in the fifth generation have been baptized in the church.
Asa Edwards died May 22, 1860. Inscription, "An Honest Man." The stone was erected by his friend, Col. William Miller. All we know of him is that he was an honest man.
William Lloyd Jamison drove a team for the Commissary during the Civil War "because he was too old to be a soldier."
John Hughey was a Revolutionary War soldier and was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He served in the Northampton County Militia.
James Milligan was a Revolutionary War soldier. His wife Ann is buried in the same grave.
Patrick Green was a Revolutionary War soldier.
Capt. John McMasters was one of the first Revolutionary War soldiers buried in the cemetery.
William McCrea Jr. was born in 1785 at Dundee Farm, the present site of the Westinghouse Research Laboratories.
John Cole was a Revolutionary War soldier and served in the 4th Battalion of Capt. Wilkenson's Co. Philadelphia Militia.
John McCullough was a Revolutionary War soldier and served in Capt. Hood's Co. Westrnoreland County Militia.
David Little was a contractor, builder and cabinet-maker and made many of the coffins used in the early burials in the cemetery. He was also a partner with John Robinson in a grocery store and meat market in Wilkinsburg. Early in 1800 he was hired to build a paling fence around Beulah Graveyard.
Matthew Long was a Revolutionary War soldier and was honored for his bravery.
Nathaniel Poyntz was a Revolutionary War soldier and served in the same Battalion as Mr. John McDowell.
James Homer was a Revolutionary War soldier who served in the Northampton County Militia. Next to the grave of Mrs. Mary Homer is the grave of her slave, Roseann Rattler, marked by a small stone containing the inscription "Thou wert a good and faithful Rose . . . God is no respecter of color." Also in the Homer plot is the grave of Col. Dunning McNair, known as the founder of Wilkinsburg.
Charles Bonner was a soldier of the Revolution.
The grave of the son James Bonner, age 8 who died in 1793, is the oldest marked grave in the cemetery. Near the grave of Charles Bonner is the grave of his granddaughter, Nancy Henderson Duff, and David Duff, her husband.
Capt. Peter Perchment served with the Virginia Troops 13th Virginia Regiment Continental Army in the Revolutionary War.
General John Johnston was a Revolutionary War soldier who served in the Allegheny County Militia.
His mother, Jane Johnston, buried in the same plot, lived to be 106 years old. The tall monuments list the above names plus all the children of John and Mary Johnston, many of whom are buried in other sections of the cemetery.
Thomas Wilson, a soldier of the Revolution and honored as the first settler in Penn Township, now Penn Hills.
Henry Morrow, 1760-1841, was a Revolutionary War soldier who served in Capt. Walter McKinney 8th Co. 4th Battalion of Cumberland County.
William Smith, died 1901. In October 1982 this headstone was found deeply embedded in a tree trunk that had grown up beside it by volunteer workers who were repairing headstones.
Hand-cut fieldstone marker: A.D. 1841 5. Mc. This stone was found almost completely buried in the ground in 1982 and is probably a member of the McGregor family.
Smith G. and Agnes P. Dunning, Minister of Beulah from 1929 to 1943.
John, Elizabeth and Rebecca McFee lived at Penn Avenue and Center Street in Wilkinsburg with the father.
Mary Quigley Turner, wife of Adam Turner, who was a school teacher in McNairstown, now Wilkinsburg.
Elizabeth Collins Marshall was the wife of Rev. James Marshall, Minister of Beulah from 1867 to 1873, the first Minister to occupy the Parsonage.
Mary Margaret Dietrich. This is the only headstone in the cemetery which faces north. All others face east and west.
Rev. Joseph Osborne was the Minister of Turtle Creek Church and died October 31, 1851, at the age of 38.
Nathaniel Montgomery seems to be a favorite name of this family as there are Nathaniels 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Two Nathaniel Montgomerys were elders in Beulah Church. This is one of the plots in which a mother and her infant (Mary, wife of Nathaniel IV) were buried in the same grave.
39 Iron Tombstones
These are the only two iron markers in the cemetery and mark the graves of William Gore, M.D., and Jane Chalfant. They appear to be members of a Chalfant family, possibly related in some manner to the family which occupies a large plot near the Gates.
A family who played a great part in the early history of the church was the Henry Chalfant family. The last member of this family to be buried in the cemetery was Evaline MacFarlane Chalfant who died December 17, 1976. Her grave was reserved for her many years ago and may be the last burial in the old section.
Plot James Beatty 1744-1827 Dr. John McDowell 1751-1814 Captain Charles Bonner 1744-1833 William McElroy 1736-1820 John Cole 1739-1807 James McKelvey 1756-1838 Col. Robert Cunningham 1759-1822 Captain John McMasters 1751-1805 David Gilleland 1765-1851 James Milligan 1726-1814 Patrick Green 1764-1830 Henry Morrow 1760-1841 James Homer 1758-1824 William Park 1762-1846 John Hughey 1752-1837 Captain Peter Perchment 1749-1844 Charles Johnston 1757-1828 William Powell -1830 General John Johnston 1747-1810 Captain Nathaniel Poyntz 1756-1819 John Johnston 1759-1856 Samuel Allen Rippey 1757-1812 John Kelly 1759-1814 Major Thomas A. Sampson 1755- 1833 42 Matthew Long 1753-1838 James Speer 1756-1814 William McCrea 1760-1828 Colonel William Stewart 1736-1786 John McCullough 1752-1825 Samuel Taylor Dr. John McDowell 1751-1814 Samuel Uerr 1761-1851 William McElroy 1736-1820 Captain Peter Whiteside John McCullough 1752-1825 Thomas Wilson 1741-1825 Duff, John 1756 -1823